Friday 18 October 2013

Day 291 - I got a little distracted. xx

Friday 18th October

The sewing machine is out and the foot is on the metal so we are in full Christmas craft mode.  I was doing quite well sticking to my plans but I have now got a little distracted.  Every year I spend ages designing and less time than I should making and this year is no different.  It was a relatively simple idea this year because I want to use hessian in as many ways as possible to create a natural and homespun effect.  Goodness me what a mess!  The hessian threads are everywhere and I am happily walking then around the house.  I won't be deterred though because I like the rustic feel of this collection and I think it will sell well.  I have quite decided that making raggy wreaths is incredibly therapeutic so, as well as the hessian ones, I embarked on some other fabric ones as it is a great way of using up offcuts. 

It was in the middle of trimming my wreaths that my distraction moment occurred.  I don't like waste and on the table I could see the necessary bits and pieces to make bookmarks with.  Bookmarks aren't on my design board for this collection but I fail to take any notice of that and get into bookmark making.  Over an hour later and six bookmarks finished and I am pleased but I do have to accept that this was not part of the plan.  They will make great stocking fillers though so I am relatively happy with my distraction. 

So, now at the end of this week I have managed to make natural fire starters, soy candles, vintage tea cup candles, raggy wreaths, willow wreaths, hearts, dream pillows and bookmarks.  I know it doesn't exactly hang together as a collection yet but it will - trust me!  Of course now I have made the bookmarks I need to make the books to go with them.....a little more research will need to be completed first.  One year I might actually manage to stick to the design board. 

When I am focused on my crafts the day disappears so the woodland walk will have to be another day.  It has rained all day on Arran so that is a good excuse to get the fire on early and keep sewing.  As the week comes to an end I am feeling slightly less worried about the Christmas markets as I now have some stock to sell.  Molly and I are off the Convent Garden Christmas market this year so I will no doubt get some last minute ideas to add in and then we will be good to go.  Most of my sales come at this time of year but this year has been compromised by other things.  That said, my simple design strategy has worked well and meant that things are quite quick to make.  I am a real fan of Pinterest as a place to collect ideas.  Take a look at my wreath board to see the range of ideas around at the moment.  I am doing some beach fragment wreaths as well as my Christmas ones and we shall see how they go. 

Once the sales are underway I can turn my attention to making presents for family and friends.  George, Max and myself make presents every year and the trick is to come up with something different.  Last year we make handmade journals for everyone and spent hours and hours cutting and gluing.  The boys always have the final say so we are just starting to talk about it now.  It would be lovely to hear your ideas for handmade presents - there is something really special about taking time to actually make something for someone that is important to you.  I am blessed with lots of lovely girlfriends and I have just the idea for this year but, of course, can't share it here.  I also try and make the children something as well and that gets harder every year. 

I worked late last night researching potential options for making a real contribution to supporting our young people.  I have had several encouraging emails today so I now need to decide the best direction for this work.  I do my best to avoid politics as it usually makes me very frustrated but one of the options has a strong political edge to it.  There are various national bodies set up to support young people as they make decisions about their future but there appears to be a lack of joined up thinking.  This is not going to be a quick solution.  It is my intention to dedicate a part of Scottish island mum to supporting young people as it moves into 2014.  It seems a natural extension of home school.  When you home school you do spend a lot of time looking for opportunities that your children can become involved in so it would be sensible to share.  If I start to drift towards politics I expect my readers to pull me back with some force. 

I am off to attempt to tidy up and I maybe some time.  Let us hope I don't get distracted with another idea although there must be someway to use like all these jute threads....

Until tomorrow. xx



No comments:

Post a Comment