Wednesday 14 August 2013

Day 226 - Something has changed. xx

Wednesday 14th August

We are in no doubt that autumn is on its way on our small island.  Today Pete and I took a trip to the other side of the island and what a contrast in the weather.  The Mull of Kintyre was doing little to protect the west of the island from autumn winds as the mist descended erased the top of the hills.  This made deer spotting a little tricky unless you speak deer language.  I clearly do as I spotted a small herd grazing near the base of the hill and called out to say hello and up popped their heads.  We had a proper good catch up before our little red car, once more, disappeared into the mist.


I adore Machrie and would live there in a heart beat even on days like today.  It was actually cold rather than cool and I could almost smell the wood smoke as the evening fires are lit.  I love the isolation of Machrie Bay and the feeling that you are on the edge of something great.  Looking out to sea the waves were tumbling with their autumn energy and it was completely invigorating. 

All was going rather well until I spotted a huge root from a tree and convinced Pete that this was actually driftwood.  More than that it was art and I needed it desperately for the front of my new studio.  Needless to say it weighed a tonne but it was no match for Pete who rolled it into the back of the car.  It is yet to take its place in front of my studio but there will be pictures when it is in situ and you will all love it and agree with me that it had to be brought to this very spot. 



We had lunch at Café Thyme which is always about the food.  Influenced by his continental background the chef makes the most amazing dishes and his flat bread is truly amazing.  It is all finished off with a very good cup of coffee and a view to end all views.  Driving back Pete and I stopped to talk to the deer before heading to Brodick where the domestics had to be done. 

Just to escape from the domestics for a few hours is always so rewarding and, I feel, an essential component of any good sabbatical.  I am finding that it is the attention you bring to everything you do that changes when you are in sabbatical mode.  Suddenly there is time to give your full attention to what you are doing because you are doing less with your day.  Less is definitely more in this context and I feel privileged to be in this position.  The heightened attention means that you have time to make the most of all the moments in your day instead of thinking of the next moment all the time. 

When I stood on the steps of my little cocoon on the Isle of Eigg and watched the sunset from humble beginnings to spectacular conclusion I knew something had changed in me.  I knew nothing would ever be the same again but I had no real sense of what had changed.  Back in my own environment I now know that it is my relationship with time that has changed.  Before that sunset I had never watched an entire sunset from start to finish.  I had seen dazzling sunsets but had always taken a quick look before getting back to the task in hand.  I have spent my entire life cramming it as full as it could go and I have no idea why.  I may have left the Isle of Eigg but I am staying in Eigg time forever.  I have quite suddenly developed an allergy to being rushed or hurried and Eigg time does not recognise either of these concepts.


I have just finished the piece on Eigg that I am offering Waverly Fitzgerald for her blog Living in Season sand I truly believe it is the best piece of writing ever to emerge from me.  We shall see what Waverly thinks..... Beyond that I think I am being haunted by the woman with the cold bones on the old croft on Eigg because she is located in the front of my mind and a whole story is slowly building.  I get completely lost in my thoughts will her and my senses seem to shut down so I am thinking a tale fit for a novel may well emerge.  This is slightly disappointing as my existing novel, which has been patiently waiting for me to return to, is being rather squeezed out of the way and I love that story.  The woman with the cold bones wants her story told first and I am not totally convinced I have a say in the matter.  If you haven't read the short piece about our first meeting both Walking the Land and its post script can be found on my Isle of Eigg page.  Let me just say she is not a lady to be messed with. 

Until tomorrow.  xx

No comments:

Post a Comment