Saturday 25 May 2013

Day 145 - lots of chances to sit. xx

Saturday 25th May

A lovely, lovely day of sunshine and lots of opportunities to sit.  Jobs in the morning but then lunch in front of my Hen Hut and a chance to sit in the sun and take in some much needed vitamin D.  Pete is reclaiming some of Hazelbank to make a new garden for cut flowers for next season so this season we get to sit in it. 

Not long after lunch and a cup of tea in the sunshine and now I have promised to be quick before a glass of wine in the evening sun.  There is a bit of a theme here!  I am quite convinced that when the sun shines there is nowhere better in the world to be than this little island. 

Between the various episodes of sun sitting I was in the studio working on my little flag that I hope to auction on my Scottish island mum facebook page.  I am pouring lots of love into it so selling it will not come easy.  It will be made easier with the knowledge that the proceeds will be going to our Butterfly Tree campaign. 

Chelsea Flower Show is over for another year and I have mixed feelings.  I have jumped off my fence to finally declare that the show gardens were, on the whole, disappointing.  I am just not convinced by them and I think they were trying to be too clever.  There is a debate about the relationship between garden design and art and I think there is a place for that.  I can see the art in gardening but, for me, it shouldn't lead the design process.  The design process should be led by the need to create a space where plants and wildlife can thrive and us humans can sit and enjoy.  That said, it can push boundaries and speak strong messages but they should be in a context of gardening.  The Mindfulness garden achieved all of that and more.  It was a space where plants were in their natural spaces and wildlife had maximum access.  The garden created a space for us humans to sit quietly and connect with the wildlife and reflect.  It didn't try to be too clever and I think that was to its credit. 

Next year I would like to see a sense of flow come back into the show gardens.  As a grower I know how plants thrive and they do not grow in dead straight lines or boxes.  They grow in drifts and clumps and curves.  On the design side of things I am over exposed to gardens with two different sides to show a contrast.  That, to me, is too simple and lacks imagination.  Messages need to be woven into the fabric of the garden for people to discover as they 'live' with the space for a while.  The artisan and the fresh gardens were much more engaging than the large show gardens and their messages will last longer as a result.  I think a design based on the curved labyrinth that pauses every so often to release another piece of its message would start and finish at a better place that gardens that demand walking in straight line and/or observing from outside.  I want to engage with a garden not walk around its edges.  We have gone way too far along our straight lines now and need to pull back to allow us to engage with the essence of a garden as a space to enjoy plants and wildlife. 

I have found a lovely little spot for my moon garden and I am going to build a seat from driftwood that my poor boys had to carry back to the car for me.  They were the size of small tree trunks but that is why I had boys!  I am going to start cultivating the plants this year for use in the moon garden next year.  During the winter months I am going to paint all the pots and other containers I want to use in dove greys and whites and then we will be good to go. 

I am currently teaching myself how to propagate succulents which is completely new for me.  I have seen a succulent wreath design that I want to have a go at but I know very little about succulents.  If anyone has any experience with these little babies do let me know what I should be doing......many thanks.

I do hope you are all having a wonderful bank holiday weekend and making the most of this lovely weather.  I don't think our sunshine is going to last so I am off to sit in it again!

Until tomorrow. xx

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I've found your blog - it's lovely.
    I used to spend quite a bit of time on Arran and, you're right, it is one of the most beautiful spots. Enjoy the sunshine, while it lasts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellen, thank you so much for stopping by. I write daily and I welcome all comments. We are quite the little virtual family so welcome! Xx

    ReplyDelete