Wednesday 22 May 2013

Day 142 - one of my favourite people in the world. xx

Wednesday 22nd May

Happy Birthday Pete.  The joy of Skype meant we could all sing Happy Birthday together and watch Pete blow out his candles.  A croaky Molly sang in Lincoln and we did our thing on the island.  Molly clearly needs to come home for some mummy tlc as she is suffering a bit.  Pete leaves the island on Monday and will bring her home on Wednesday.  Is it too early to start jumping?

I was doing more than jumping last night as I watched my analytics creep towards 10,000 page views.  Right in the middle of Chelsea on the telly the 10,000 mark was reached so down went the ipad as I jigged a merry little dance around my sitting room.  I like to share so I took my jig around the house with only the odd raised eyebrow from a teenage son.  Max, as always, said 'Well done Mummy' as I jigged back to my seat.  I will have to get into video making so I can share these moments with you guys because I am sure you feel deprived! 

Needless to say I am absolutely thrilled at reaching such a remarkable total and that will be all down to you guys.  I am aware that some blogs get that total a month but these are often the type of blogs you click on and read once to retrieve some information and then never visit again.  This blog is different because my 10,000 represents people visiting over and over again.  It represents more than that though.  People have engaged with this little blog and contributed to projects a long the way and that is very special indeed.  I am still redrafting my activist piece trying to figure out quite why I have been asked to make a contribution on this subject.  In the end it is probably quite simple.  I am environmentally aware and I live as sustainably as I can and I use this little blog to share some of that.  So, my activist credentials are limited in scale but perhaps not in depth.  Maybe the world can change one blog post at a time and even one conversation at a time?  In that little space, maybe I have a place?

I am working on the new site 'One soul many hearts' at a refreshing pace.  Instead of my usual break neck pace I am putting gentle feelers out and attracting some truly wonderful people to contribute to the site.  I won't be launching until later in the year when I hope all involved in creating this new piece of virtual space will raise a glass at the same time.  I like that idea but I can see a slight problem.  50% of my readers live in the USA and they are obviously in a different time zone.  The obvious solution is for me to raise a glass at two different times.  I think I could squeeze a second glass of wine in if I really put my mind to it. 

One of my personal little theories is that we all need a mentor in life.  Mentors are particularly useful towards the beginning of your life as an adult or your career.  They help to guide and gently shape the person you then become.  I had the very best mentor on the planet.  Her name is Janet and we are still in regular contact today.  There is no one in the world like Janet.  She is all the things a mentor should be and then some....  I first met Janet when she interviewed me for the lecturing job at the university of Winchester.  It was one of those dreaded interview days that takes all day and you 'chat' in various contexts.  Except Janet didn't chat very much as she was far too busy observing all the candidates.  One of the candidates obviously decided the way to get this job was just to talk over everyone the whole time.  I was the youngest candidate and a bit out of my depth and too quiet as a result.  But there was a moment when the chatty candidate chatted once too many times and I heard an irritated sigh from Janet and in that moment I knew I would like her. 

Working with Janet was a complete and utter joy and a lesson in how to communicate with people.  When Janet spoke you listened but you were just as likely to see her listening carefully to others.  I went on to have a successful career in lecturing and I owe a huge amount of that to Janet.  I was fortunate to work with another fabulous mentor after I left Janet's team but I have carried her wise words with me always. 

Janet was involved with charity work in Romania before most of us even knew there was a problem with orphans in that country.  She has dedicated her life to working to making the world a better place for children in Romania and I am completely thrilled to announce that she will be sharing some of that with us.  Janet has kindly agreed to write a couple of articles for 'One heart many souls' and these will lead the way as I launch the site.  The rest of the journey will therefore be easy.....we shall all just follow Janet's lead. 

So, you have now been introduced to one of my favourite people in the world and I did think that was a far better use of my post today than telling you about the delights of house painting.  I am covered in white paint and very aware that I will pay for these efforts today.  I am not sure this body can cope with 7 hours painting - we shall see what tomorrow brings.  It will not matter because I now have a shiny white house again. 

I am off to have a cuddle with my kitten.

Until tomorrow. xx



No comments:

Post a Comment