Monday 20 May 2013

Day 140 - Something has already moved me....

Monday 20th May

The sunshine has returned and well it might with the start of the Chelsea Flower Show.  I was a little disappointed with what was featured on the preview show and therefore a bit concerned.  I am much calmer now having seen the lunchtime show!


Our day started with home school where we continued our work with our Spring journals.  Today we looked in more detail at the Hawthorn tree as it is also known as the May tree.  Understood in folklore to be the 'tree of the heart' it has many special properties.  We use the berries in jam making (not the seeds as they are poisonous) and dried in Christmas wreath decoration.  Today we had a taste of the small leaves that are supposed to be good for the blood.  Not sure about those! 

Hawthorn has been traditionally used as hedging as its thorns act as a great protective barrier.  A protective tree by nature it fosters bird nests and small animal homes and so has a place in everyone's garden. 

The blossom is supposed to come late May but this year ours will be June.  The delicate white flowers are a traditional mark of spring. 


Sprigs of Hawthorn were hung in baby cradles for protection so we set about adjusting that concept slightly.  Using a mix of weaving and binding techniques we made a Hawthorn hanging to hang in our bedrooms.  We are not quite sure what they are protecting us from but they were great fun to do. 

A Hawthorn tree growing on a hillside is meant to signify faeries and ours grows on a hill!  I love faeries but the boys were less impressed when I started reading all about that aspect.  They were much more interested in what the wood can be used for.  Sadly, the answer is not much as it tends to spilt when it dries.  Small pins and brooches were worn to ward off evil though. 

We use Hawthorn sprigs in meditation as they help to ground us and keeps a calm inner eye.  We will be using it in my forth coming meditation through writing course

This brings me neatly back to Chelsea Flower Show.  I have already identified one garden that has moved me.  The garden created in the 'Fresh' category called the Mindfulness Garden is an absolute joy.  The designer Martin Cook draws on the influences of mindfulness as spiritual and meditative practice to create a natural looking space where silence can be celebrated.  The words on his stone read 'If you learn to be silent you can cope with the chaos.'   His blog tells you all about his process.  Today a Buddhist monk meditated in the garden and then spoke about the experience.  I wish I was there moment!

I admit that I haven't seen a show garden that I like yet but it is early days.  I did giggle all the way through Nicky attempting Japanese flower arranging!  What a poor effort but she laughed it off well.  I adore Japanese flower arranging or Ikebana but I think the meditative qualities were a bit lost on this programme.  Traditionally a Buddhist offering as far back as the 7th century the practice allows for close observation of form and structure.  As a technique it is far more challenging than we saw today but it provided my giggle of the day. 

So, we are off and running on this years Chelsea Flower Show and I am learning already.  Interesting I read an article last night about how to create a Moon Garden and did think that would be wonderful for Chelsea - in another life time I will come back and do that.  Not next life time because I am coming back as a puffin then...reminds me that Hebrides -  islands on the edge is on tonight.  What is a girl to do?  This girl is off to water in the tunnel and have my contemplative moment of the day.

Until tomorrow.  xx



No comments:

Post a Comment