Monday 6 May 2013

Day 126 - neglectful eyes with a dash of spring cleaning...to music.

Monday 6th May

I can think of better ways to spend the morning of a bank holiday that spring cleaning.  There is nothing like having a friend to stay to sort out the housework.  Even the kitchen cupboards got a wash down.  It is always lovely when it is done but with three teenage boys in the house I can't think it will last long.  We are blessed that our eldest, Harry (17), is a tidy teenager as he appears to have set the example for his younger brothers.  But mess still happens and I have got ignoring it down to a fine art.  You can be assured that the radio was on and, yes, this girl danced her way through the morning.  I seemed to have plugged into an 80s morning on our local station so that got the heart rate up a bit.  I did laugh later this afternoon when Max said 'It is good that we all stayed in bed while you cleaned because the doctor says you have to keep moving!'  That boy has an answer for everything and he does make me giggle. 

Harry re-appeared after a weekend with friends in Edinburgh and Pete and I started breathing again.  Molly sent a text to say she arrived in Sheffield and then again when she got home today.  I know they have to grow up and I am all for a bit of growing up, but nobody told me it would be this stressful.  Living on an island means that any trip is pretty major for them as they learn the joys of travelling on ferries, trains and buses but so far so good.  As a parent all you can do is prepare them as well as possible and then cross your fingers.  It feels a bit inadequate doesn't it?  Molly is 21 later this year but when she is travelling she still sends me texts to let me know she has made her connections.  I don't really care if that makes me a bit over-protective because I survive the day all the better for those texts. 

With Harry back at work I took Max and George out for a late lunch to say thank you for all their work for the butterfly tree tea party.  Sitting chatting together always makes me feel very lucky.  With three boys one could expect nothing but the odd grunt but not in our family.  They all chat a way and time just flies by.  I use this time to find out where their thinking is and I am always surprised.  Clearly Max thinks that I should take on all of the housework to help my mobility - what a kind thought!  The problem is I think he was serious! 

Continuing my little sharing of using plants that we grow I am now hoping to persuade you all to grow cornflowers.  Since world war 2 90% of our wildflower meadows have disappeared in the UK mainly due to changes in farming and increased urbanisation.  That means that our bees are in real trouble because these meadows were their feeding stations.  We can all help by having a small patch of wildflowers in our garden.  Wildflowers grow so well on the sides of motorways because the quality of the soil is so poor so they don't need any special treatment in our garden.  Wildflower seed mixes are great as long as they contain cornflowers.  The bees adore cornflowers as do the butterflies. 

Cornflowers also make excellent cut flowers.  I can hear some of you disagreeing with that from here.  The trick is in the conditioning.  As soon as possible after picking sear the base of the stems in boiling water for about 30 seconds before placing in a vase of tepid water.  You will find that you have converted a drooping wildflower into an excellent cut flower.  I love bunches of them in vintage tea cups throughout the summer to create beautiful little pauses around the house.  If you leave the water to evaporate you will then have started the drying phase which you can complete by hanging bunches upside down out of direct sunlight.  I usually put a brown paper bag over the heads to collect the petals as they fall off. 

We all neglect our eyes and dried cornflower petals will give you the perfect excuse to pamper them.  Using muslin cut 4 circles approximately 8cm in diameter.  Stitch 2 circles together leaving a 2cm gap to fill with two teaspoons of dried cornflower and then stitch to close.  Place them in a bowl and cover with boiled water.  Leave to infuse until they are cold and then place over eyes and relax for 10 minutes.  This eye compress is perfect for sore eyes after the irritation of hayfever or a long flight.  Trust me! 

Tomorrow my lovely Jan arrives from Derbyshire and I am ignoring the forecast and getting out and about for the next few days with my camera.  Look out for my May meditation piece later in the week as I hope to revisit that walk with Jan.  As the bank holiday comes to an end I do hope you have all had a lovely long weekend and feel refreshed. 

Until tomorrow. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment