Sunday 5 May 2013

Day 125 - A little helper and a dash of lemon verbena.

Sunday 5th May


A little warmer but perhaps a little wetter but I sense we might be heading in the right direction with our island weather.  I had little Angus helping me this morning in the tunnel.  I told the story of a plant and he helped me fill in the blanks.  He then identified as many as he could and did the all important taste test.  I think he was amazed at just how many plants he could nibble on.  Angus then started from the beginning and sowed his cress seeds in an empty egg box.  From sowing to harvesting only takes about a week so it is an excellent crop to start with.  He has his little journal to measure his seedlings as they grow through the week.

We then turned our attention to the seedling stage and he potted on some stocks that I had left for him to do.  Twelve finished pots later and he was ready to go on to the next task.  Angus helped me put my sweet peas into their final growing place by planting them in grow bags.  He was in charge of string cutting so we could tie them into their canes.  Angus then planted his own sweet peas into a pot ready to take back to his garden along with three borage and a strawberry plant.  He was a lovely little helper and he is coming back next weekend to build a raised bed with Pete. 

I recommended a local plant sale to Angie and Angus in the next village.  I have never seen anything like it on Arran.  I went with my mother and we were there at 2pm just as it began and the queue was out the door.  The sale was in aid of the hospice room at the island hospital and someone had bulk bought plants and they were selling them on.  I expected it to be local growers and local plants.  That said, it didn't stop me getting some bedding packs but I limited myself to the plants I know the butterflies and bees adore.  Angus and his mum arrived in the middle of it but just about managed to get some plants to take home and plant up for tubs and baskets. 

Needless to say my plant sale is different from that.  I will be selling mostly perennials and mostly edibles.  The smallholding will be open all weekend so that should stop the mad rush.  I do hope so because I am offering tea and cake for donations to the Butterfly Tree.  If the queue is down the hill I am so in trouble!  As most of you know my passion is herbs and I am running a course in July where we get to grips with cultivation and use.  I think a lot of people grow herbs but they don't always know how to use them. 

A really easy but lovely gift is to made homemade herbal teas sealed in air tight containers and decorated with ribbons.  My two favourite recipes are below -

Energising Tea
25g of dried peppermint leaves
5g of dried marigold leaves (calendula)
5g dried ginger
2 pieces of dried lemon grass roughly chopped
2 strips od dried orange zest

Place all ingredients in a dark glass airtight container.

Digestive
20g dried peppermint leaves
10g dried lemon verbena leaves
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds

Same container instructions

All the leaves above can be dried simply by placing on a piece of muslin stretched over an old picture frame and stapled down.  That allows air to circulate all around the leaves and the drying is more successful.  Leaves can then be stored in airtight containers until you are ready to use them. 

Some of those herbs are harder to find than others but they are so worth having.  Lemon Verbena is my absolute favourite herb but it doesn't always over winter well.  You need to bring it into the house before the first frosts. 

Peppermint is much easier to find and a good strong plant will service you with cuttings in the spring to make new plants.  I have mint cuttings in jam jars filled with water all over the house at the moment.  I am going to experiment with my ginger mint in a digestive tea as ginger and mint both aid digestion.  You will find that homemade herbal teas are much better than shop bought ones that struggle to produce any flavour.  You can't rush herbal tea making as you need to allow enough time for infusion in the pot before you pour.  I am always collecting new herbal tea recipes so if you have any I   would love to have them for my collection. 

Look out for catmint in your local garden centre.  It is a really pretty herb with grey foliage and lilac flowers.  If you dry some of it on your muslin frame you can make a simple catmint mouse using fabric and string.  Your cat will love you forever. 

Before spring passes us by completely primroses make the most beautiful pressed flowers.  I think flower pressing is seen as old fashioned and that is a shame.  I add them to my handwritten letters and cards and they are always appreciated.  You don't even need a flower press just some heavy books!  One of the things I do in the little space between seasons is a collage of what activities I want to engage in during the coming season.  I realise that spring has been challenging but I am an optimist so I am working on my summer collage now.  Every year I try and learn new skills and take my creativity in new directions.  I will, of course, share when it is done but I sure your efforts would be much better. 

I know of at least two creative butterfly tree events happening elsewhere in the country over this bank holiday and I hope to feature them on my blog in the coming weeks.  Once again, many thanks for the support. 

Picking up on the wonderful photos that David shared with us of blossom I am onto another little project.  David takes a photograph of the view from his house once a week and it maps the changes through the seasons.  I would love to see people's views from their house.  They don't have to be scenic just real.  If any of you have any photos you wouldn't mind sharing do get in touch. 

I am taking Max and George out for the day tomorrow as a little thank you for all the work they did to make the tea party such a success.  And then, on Tuesday, a really special friend arrives for a few days and I have those days off work! The plan is to walk, photograph and eat cake.  Fabulous. 

Until tomorrow.  xx

No comments:

Post a Comment