Wednesday 27 March 2013

Day 86 - turning right side up for most.

Wednesday 27th March

I am blogging my little heart out here in a window of power!  Power was restored late last night via a generator and then went off again at lunchtime.  It was so lovely to wake up to the feel of the central heating being on.  That is until I almost passed out with heat stroke and had to take off my gloves and scarf and jumper!  I am so not complaining though because the guys up here have worked through awful conditions to restore as much power as possible.  One can't help feeling it is all a bit fragile as the ferry begins to bring over Easter visitors. 

It is a beautiful day on the island with lots of sunshine and the spring flowers all have their heads up again.  My little baby kitten Mimi has been to the vets today to get her sorted so no horrid boy cat can make her pregnant and she is curled up next to me in a drug induced state.  Lucky girl!  I am on less drugs than I was and that is always considered an achievement in my book. 

The island has a degree of normality about it but the drama is the talk of the Co-op as you might expect.  I always celebrate that, as a writer, I can work from anywhere.  Clearly that has not been the case and I realise just how much I need the Internet.  My virtual world is a part of each and every day so, in that context, I have felt a little isolated.  Everyone is using as little power as possible and the islanders are still pulling together well and keeping a good sense of humour.  I think I might take a few days to fully thaw out but apart from that all is well. 

This little episode in island living has served to remind us just how complicated life can be when you rely on ferries for just about everything.  With Easter approaching there hasn't been much space on the ferries for all the equipment needed to tackle this gigantic problem.  Somehow though they have coped and we have generators popping up everywhere.  It is a bit of fun to 'spot the generator' as you drive around the island.  All roads are now open except the Ross road which cuts across the south end.  Medical teams remain at full stretch in their attempts to help the sick through such a challenging time. 

I am always amazed by the fact that life just carries on despite the crisis.  I remember feeling like that after my lovely dad died.  We were in the supermarket a few hours after he died buying food to take back to the island.  I think we all hold onto what is normal.  The next few days will be a testing time for the islanders but I am sure the welcome will be warm to all our visitors.  The weather is due to improve after the weekend and that will lift everyone again.

I am left asking the question 'why have none of my children moaned?'  Not once have they complained and they all have colds now and George is proper poorly.  I am, of course, incredibly proud of them.  My 'normal' is to pick up my various projects and push onwards.  Since all the island schools are closed I didn't think it fair to continue with home school so we shall have a extra long holiday.  Molly is back revising for her exams and routines will fall back into place. 

My little cat is sleeping soundly now and appears to have forgiven for the visit to the vet this morning.  Things are turning right side up and so they should. 

Until tomorrow. xx
PS Joshua is out of hospital and on the mend.  Thank you to all who whispered messages.  xx



No comments:

Post a Comment